917 Park Avenue, Oconto, WI
This historic house was built in 1868 by Cyrus and Kitty Hart; it is believed to be one of the first brick homes in the county with the bricks being shipped to Oconto from DePere. The building passed through several owners before becoming the home of George and Fanny Beyer in 1881. Though the original structure was an Italianate-style, the Beyers remodeled it into a Queen Anne style home adding a wrap-around porch, three-story tower room and entry, a south bay addition, and new windows, many of which included leaded glass.
In 1941, the county acquired this home and turned it over to the county historical society with the stipulation that it become a museum for all to enjoy. During the 1970s, the society undertook a complete interior restoration of the home to the 1890s. Now the building is open to the public as a fine example of how the small town wealthy lived. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.